Thursday, October 21, 2010

Better Together

and all of these moments might
just find a way into my dreams tonight
but i know that they'll be gone
when the morning light sings
and brings new things
for tomorrow night's dreams
but they'll be gone too
too many things i have to do
if all of these dreams
may find a way into my day to day scene
i'd be under the impresion
we were somewhere in between
with only two just me and you
not so many things we got to do
or people we got to see
we'll sit beneath the mango tree
and now...

it's always better when we're together
somewhere in between together
it's always better when we're together
it's always better when we're together
                                      --JACK JOHNSON

Today was supposed to be one of those cross-of-your-list days.  I made a long list of chores last night, goals for today.  Things that are crying out to be done, things I want to do, things that are mundane but necessary. But today is different. Something changes the day when your kids decided to wake up before 6am and play.  And then at 7:30 are ready for a nap.  I'd rather still be dreaming in my cozy white sheets with my hair all matted to my pillow than have gotten up just to go back down. But hey, that's how kids work. And you roll with the punches. 

When I put Chad down for his nap, I had intended on starting on my long list so that I can satisfy my soul by crossing things off with that big red fat marker:
  • call the heating company
  • clean the kitchen
  • wash the sheets and towels
  • change Dorothy's water
  • wash the kids' clothes
  • bake and store our apples from the orchard
  • bake the squash that has graced our counter for weeks on end (hello yummy squash soup!)
  • make the bed
  • shower
  • clean up the toys
  • vacuum downstairs
  • dust downstairs
Very fun list.  But, when I took the little bundle upstairs and started rocking him, he snuggled in so close, breathing in the crook of my neck that is so ticklish and makes me squirm - every single time I rock him.  He quickly fell asleep and I laid him down in his crib.  He didn't move and I realized how excruciatingly fast this year has gone by. He will be a year old before I know it.  He didn't move.  He laid there, still as could be, breathing in and out, peaceful, dreaming, swaddled.  I knew I had to take the opportunity to snap a few shots of him before he outgrows it.  And he snuggles up so sweetly in the blanket knit by his Gramma.
Sleep tight, my little snuggle bug.  Thank you for the loves. Off to start my list....

3 comments:

m girls' mom said...

Oh goodness...brought tears to my eyes!! How fast the time passes. These shots are beautiful! LOVE the one of Chad's feet with his name in the background! I cannot wait for you to bless us with your talent in just a couple weeks!! We will have to remember some of these angles to try on our little bundle. :)

Meredith R. said...

How sweet!

The Turkstra's said...

So precious!

Post a Comment