Friday, July 2, 2010

Already Home

This is where I lay my hat
This is where they know my name
This is where they show me that
A man’s not so alone
Maybe I’m already home
Maybe I’m already home
                        -- MARC COHN

....continued from Part 1....

We arrived at Gramma and Boppa's place with the aroma of a delicious home cooked meal.  The smells that bring me back to childhood, that bring peace and serenity. That tell me life is okay. I am loved. I am protected. I am safe. The kids were incredible travelers but were definitely excited to get to the final destination, running and scooting all over the place to discover all the little nik-naks and containers; scoping out places to hide toys and hop-hop-hop across the velvety carpet.

We found Chad enjoying himself in his sister's satin cape.  Hey, who can blame him? That thing is soft!
He wasn't a bit ashamed.

Cari spent hours on end skipping around on the patio and kicking her little feet through trails of green grass.

We visited the AuSable Valley Railroad, stopping for a picnic along the way.

Even though we had to bring out our swords to defend our sandwiches from the bugs, the view and sound of the river was refreshing.

Our little navigator had to scope out where to go from here.  Where's the railroad? We're allllllllmost there.

Chad took quite an interest in Boppa's sandwich, but who wouldn't?

Ahh...and arrival! 


Cari was in complete awe when she saw the train. And to see the engineer rise up out of his little engine car was incredible.  He was no small guy. He just kept coming and coming and coming.

The train ride was magnificent. Clunking and chugging along the rickety tracks, over the trellis and through the tunnel, to which Cari kept mentioning she needed her "fwashwight."






And oh, my little fella loved it too.  He'd rather stay close, but he'll enjoy a little adventure every now and again.



The following day, we met Uncle Billy and Aunt Brenda for a trip to the petting zoo. These animals were hilarious.  A pig bigger than my bed, and a llama who spit carrots at the donkey out of jealousy.  Cari was stuck on Aunt Brenda the instant we got there.






The bull behind me was literally bigger than my den! I've never seen anything like it.

But Chad sure thought he was great.

Is it still illegal if she can't read?

Because she's determined.

Thanks Cindy Lou!




1 comments:

April said...

what fun! i have to admit, i'm a little bit jealous. we're so stuck here in florida. silly peninsula, takes forever to get anywhere...

Post a Comment